Conservation Minnesota is focused on solving problems that are most important to Minnesotans. We have asked tens of thousands of people about their conservation concerns and the one point of nearly unanimous agreement is the importance of protecting our state’s waters. Clean water is the key to Minnesota’s future. Our health, our economy, and our way of life depend on it.
Water connects each of us as Minnesotans and it connects all conservation issues in our state. Because of water’s unique importance, Conservation Minnesota is working to achieve a lasting legacy for future generations. We call it the Clean Water Promise.
- By 2020, state and local officials will have the information, tools, and authority necessary to conserve and sustainably manage the quantity of water in our lakes, streams and groundwater reserves.
- By 2025, every Minnesotan will be drinking safe, non-polluted water.
- By 2030, Minnesotans will enjoy lakes and rivers that have 95% less plastic pollution.
- By 2040, Minnesota will protect children from mercury pollution. Individuals, businesses, and industries in our state will have stopped adding mercury to our lakes.
- By the year 2050, Minnesotans will have peace of mind knowing that every one of our lakes is safe for swimming. Currently, polluted lakes will be cleaned up, and our most pristine lakes will be protected for future generations to experience.
To achieve these important goals, we are building a truly statewide community of Minnesotans willing to stand up for our lakes, rivers, and drinking water. Our network has grown from 5,000 to over 60,000 in just two years. We have members in every county with 47% living outside the metro area. We are also building a statewide team of community coordinators to engage and mobilize this ever-growing network, providing them with the information, tools, and opportunities necessary to make a difference.
The foundation for our programs is built on more than a decade of innovation. We have developed a new and more effective approach to public engagement that you won’t find at any other non-profit organization.