(Alexandria, MN) The cities of Alexandria and Glenwood are joining forces to attract local and state visitors to provide a unique weekend of engaging arts, history and outdoor events February 11-13. The Alexandria / Glenwood area is fortunate to have strong arts, historical and cultural events year round and beautiful parks, lakes and prairies to enjoy throughout the year. This unique weekend will combine events to highlight the impacts of funding provided through the Clean Water, Land & Legacy Amendment approved by Minnesota voters in 2008.
The Alexandria/Glenwood area has seen critical investments in arts, outdoors and historical projects to organizations from grants in 2010 from the Legacy Amendment. Both Douglas and Pope Counties have received these Legacy funds through organizations to include but not limited to: Minnesota Historical Society, Lake Region Arts Council, and Pope County Soil and Water Conservation District.
This statewide program is being overseen by three Minnesota state agencies to really draw local attention to our Legacy funding in action on a much impactful and personal level. They are: Minnesota Citizens for the Arts, Conservation Minnesota and Explore Minnesota Tourism.
Alexandria & Glenwood’s “Legacy Weekend” is being organized locally by Alexandria Hotel & Hospitality in partnership with Alexandria Area Arts Association, The Pope County Historical Society, The Douglas County Library, The Ann Bickle Heritage House, School District 206 Community Education, Lake Carlos State Park and the Sertoma/Viking Sportsmen’s Ice Fishing Challenge.
“Our community is so fortunate to have so many things to offer. Local residents and people throughout the State of Minnesota will be shown how the Legacy funds were used locally.” Sara Stadtherr, AHH.
(For more information on dates, times & locations, go to www.ExploreAlex.com/LegacyDestination )
- Alexandria Area Arts Association is offering three productions of the Dixie Swim Club. In Dixie Swim Club, the five characters have been friends since meeting as teammates on their college swim team. They have had a yearly reunion since college at a cottage on the Outer Banks in North Carolina. The audience joins the reunions when the women are ages 44, 49, 54, and 77. We are treated to a privileged glimpse into their prospective lives.
- The Ann Bickle Heritage House and Pope County Historical Society are hosting guided tours of this nationally recognized house and the museum which features the Smithsonian worthy Helbing Collection of Native American Arts and Crafts.
- The Sertoma Club & Viking Sportsmen is holding their 11th Annual Ice Fishing Challenge on Lake Agnes. This is Minnesota’s 2nd largest ice fishing tournament and features all cash prizes!
- Lake Carlos State Park is offering Candlelight Skiing and Snowshoeing. Ski or snowshoe by moonlight along the candle lit trails of Lake Carlos. Warm up by the wood stove and enjoy refreshments afterward in the shelter.
- Community Education is offering special classes for winter weekend cheer: Wine & Chocolate Tasting from around the World, sure to delight your taste buds and a clay workshop to make your own drinking vessel to enhance the season, Containing Winter’s Libations: From Demitasse to Tankards.
- Douglas County Library will showcase its new Minnesota Bookshelf, and display photos of another Legacy project: Evansville Arts Coalition’s Flying Pieces of Art.
In addition, there will be:
- DATA snowmobiling trail rides.
- Winterama: Children’s activities on the ice, a Polar Plunge and minnow eating contest. Just outside Lakeside Ballroom Restaurant, on Lake Minnewaska.
The Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment, passed by Minnesota voters in 2008, provide financial support for a variety of conservation, parks and cultural programs. The event is part of a monthly series being held in “Legacy Destination” communities throughout Minnesota to highlight local cultural and outdoor opportunities by drawing residents and visitors to an eclectic assortment of fun activities.